Thursday, August 20, 2009

That Lovely Dress


It is pretty safe to assume that at this point almost everyone out there has a lovely dress. My first lovely robe was blue and I wore it all the time. Not knowing anything about
roleplay or rp clothes back then I wore it with everything and anything. Imagine a huntress in a lovely blue dress, yet fully battle geared and with a diseased grizzly bear in tow. I am pretty sure I was the weirdest dressed night elf hunter on The Venture Co. (Embarrassing screenshots may appear in time)

Whether it is purple, blue, red or black, the lovely dress is in many ways the WoW equivalent of the little black dress. You put it on and you are pretty much good to go. The only problem in WoW is that when you arrive at the party there are five other people dressed just like you. So, here are my suggestions for how you can make your robe stand out among all others worn during Valentine's or that special occasion.



Lovely Blue Dress
I have tried to keep the outfit as simple as possible so the robe itself doesn't disappear under a cloak or is outshined by bulky gloves. The only things I have added are:
Arcane Pads - some of the nicest blue shoulders I have come across. Check your auction house for these.
Bindings of Yearning

Cincture of Polarity








Both the bracers and the belt are to me proof that one should always check what one loots. I have been
very disappointed with the looks of items in the 'new' expansion. However there are gems out there. These two pieces have become essential to a lot of what I wear these days and you will see more of them on this blog. So there you go. Always Ctrl+left click. ;)






Back to the purple dress... Also here, I have felt it would be best with a minimalist approach. Still this is probably the most grand look you can achieve without being over the top:
Lovely Purple Dress
Vestia's Pauldrons of Inner Grace
The
Scintillating Headdress of Second Sight works with the blue dress as well.
Both the shoulders and the head piece are level 70 items. Honestly, for something as lovely as this I think it is just as well you had to work a little to attain it. *hides*









For something simpler you can try the Lavender Mageweave Shirt. This is a set I am still working on, but I thought I should add it for inspiration. What you are looking at are Arcanist Belt and Arcanist Gloves.







Another unique look, this time for the Lovely Black Dress is to match it up with an Ebon Filigreed Doublet, Crimson Bracers of Gloom and Cincture of Polarity. I just love how this turned out. The shirt has a flame like detail on the back that brings a lot of personality to the outfit. I wonder how this would work with the red model of the dress...



Getting back to my comparison between the lovely dress and the little black dress. The lovely black dress is indeed a very versatile item. Not only is it not soulbound, it also works well with a lot of different items. Some months ago, a dear friend of mine showed me a great way to remake it. He paired it up with a tuxedo shirt! To fill out the lower gaps left by the dress you can use black pants - Tuxedo Pants for example.


And though that simple yet elegant combination is enough on its own, I added some items. Hey, I couldn't help myself. :P The result was a perfect outfit for a scribe, clerk, librarian or any kind of bureaucrat. As mentioned above, you start with the black dress, tuxedo pants and shirt. Add Duskwoven Bracers for that 'can't get my sleeves dirty'-office look and Noble's Monocle - all that reading does take its toll.
Of course I added my favourite belt of all time *hides* It looks good though... To top it off, find a sutable book off-hand for your character to carry.






If you are looking for some other interesting head items, I would recommend Don Carlos' Famous Hat. Goggles would work very well too. Though I don't have the red dress I suggest trying the Crimson Felt Hat. Tell me how it turns out, will you?



Ok I'll stop now, before I go out shopping for more. ;)

What do you wear?

2 comments:

  1. Red Lovely Dress + Crimson Felt Hat -- looks fabulous! (http://wowrpc.waddellconsulting.com/smf/index.php?topic=71.msg269) Thanks for the great idea!

    :) Kamalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! How adorable! :)
    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete